Sunday, February 22, 2009

bschool apps update

This weekend went really well. I went up to nyc on thursday night so that I could work from home on friday and go to a student panel/dinner at nyu on friday night. They served some sort of pineapple salmon...it was awesome (i've failed at both of my attempts to make salmon, but THAT salmon has motivated me to wait for a salmon sale *i'll hold out for $4/lb* and try my hand again).

Saturday was the official interview day. There were about 90 people total on the campus to interview. There was a general air of excitement (with a side of nervousness) from everyone present. There was one guy present with whom I went to MIT. I think I saw one or two familiar faces from harvard as well.

After 30 minutes in the general holding area (where there was a continental breakfast), my "block" was called into the interview area. About 20 people walked into the interview area alongside me. When we stepped in, about 10 names were immediately called for an interview by people in suits with folders. My name was the 7th name called. My interviewer looked like a nice guy and one interview later, I can say that my initial assessment was correct.

The interview went REALLY well.

REALLY WELL.

I was prepared to answer all kinds of questions about myself. I was even prepared to answer the typical "STUPID" questions that interviewers ask as well (i.e. 'tell me about a challenge you had' 'tell me about a time you worked on a team').

I wasn't asked any "stupid" questions.

It is probably because my interviewer was intimately familiar with my entire application package. I was surprised by how well things went. After the interview, I took a guided tour of the school with the same 20 people from my group. We then went to lunch (terrible salad, but awesome chicken and baby potatoes (they were tiny potato-looking and potato-tasting things?)). A distinguished alumni delivered a speech during the lunch. The dude was a christian, so I made time to reach out to him after his presentation to ask about the spiritual climate at the school and his life as a believer/husband/father in light of his professional responsibility. Certain things that he said during the speech lead me to believe that he was much more than a believer in name only. The conversation was very helpful.

After the lunch, we went to a mock lecture on business law. We looked at a lawsuit that was filed against pepsi for this commercial





Very thought-provoking. Awesome lecturer (nyu really put their best foot forward in selecting this guy, very charismatic...not in the pentecostal/AOG/COGIC way tho ).

After the class, there was a mixer at a local restaurant/bar. I tried the brooklyn lager, which was surprisingly delicious (they had it on tap). It was probably "surprisingly delicious" because i associated the term "lager" with "stout". Don't judge my ignorance . I had a good time "networking" with the folk that were out. Prayerfully, I get in. I find out in 3 weeks.

The interview really reminded me in a powerful way that God is sovereign and gracious. I can see how he has blessed me tremendously throughout this entire application process. I do not deserve his blessings, but he has seen fit to be gracious toward me. Admission into NYU will *not* be a result of my overwhelming credentials (i don't have them), but rather, the graciousness of God. Pray that I get in!

Jeremiah 17:5-10

Thus says the LORD:"Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart turns away from the LORD. He is like a shrub in the desert, and shall not see any good come. He shall dwell in the parched places of the wilderness, in an uninhabited salt land.

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit."

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? "I the LORD search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds."

No comments:

Post a Comment